I love going to Pinterest to find tasty and easy recipes to make when I'm in a rut! Since it's the new year, I've been looking for easy, but delicious week night meals to make! I want to be able to feed our entire family great and healthy meals - even when we are on a time crunch.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 (4 to 6 oz ) boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, 1" to 2" pieces. If using pre-cooked chicken, you will need about 5 to 6 cups.
- 4 bell peppers, sliced (vary the colors to make it pretty! I used green, yellow, red, and orange)
- small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 recipe of Fajita Seasoning Recipe or Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe (feel free to use store-bought packets if you're short on time)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- optional: sour cream, avocado slices or guacamole, cilantro, and salsa. Don't forget hot sauce for the spicy lovers!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In an oven proof skillet, over medium heat, saute the chicken in olive oil until the chicken is done. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add onions and peppers and saute until tender, (approximately 3 to 5 minutes depending upon your preference).
- Add chicken back to the pan and stir in the fajita seasoning, sour cream, and cream cheese. Mix well.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups tomato sauce plain, no salt added (400ml)
- 1 3/4 cups mild chunky salsa (400ml) or hot
- 12 Catelli Express Lasagne Noodles
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup water
- sour cream, avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, etc, for serving as desired
In a large pan over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef, green pepper and onion until beef is browned and vegetables have softened (10-15 minutes).
Add the taco seasoning, garlic and salt and cook 1 minute.
Stir in the tomato sauce and salsa, and cook over medium-heat for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9×13″ pan. Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan, then top with 3 lasagna noodles. Top with ¼ of the remaining sauce, and 1 cup of cheese.
Repeat layers 3 more times for 4 layers total. End with remaining sauce and cheese on top.
Just before baking, carefully pour ¼ cup water around the edges of the noodles in the pan (not on top of the cheese) — this will help to cook the noodles and keep the lasagna moist! Spray a piece of tin foil with non stick spray and place (spray side down) on the lasagna. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
Uncover the lasagna and bake 8-10 more minutes, until thickened and bubbly and cheese has browned slightly. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- 4 pita pocket bread sliced into 8 triangles each
- 1/2 cup chickpeas drained and rinsed, pat dry
- 1 teaspoon olive oil + more for drizzle
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 medium cucumber diced small
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes julienned (I like the ones in oil and I just dab off the oil before using)
- 1/2 cup banana peppers sliced
- 1 small shallot thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup feta crumbles
- 2-3 green onions sliced for garnish (I use white and green parts)
- 2-3 Tablespoon fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- Hummus & Tazatziki Sauce for serving
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper and spread pita triangles across. Drizzle olive oil lightly across the pita bread, along with salt and pepper, and toss to coat evenly.
On a second baking sheet, spread out the rinsed and dried chickpeas. Toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Place both sheets in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, tossing each halfway through. Check for desired crispiness and remove from oven.
Meanwhile, prepare toppings and dips, if making homemade.
When the pita chips come out of the oven, transfer them to a serving tray/plate (or just leave them on the tray!). Top pita slices with olives, sun-dried tomatoes, banana peppers, shallot slices, and feta crumbles.
If desired, put the nachos back in the oven for 3-5 minutes if you want the toppings to be warm, too. Garnish with green onion and chopped parsley. Serve immediately with hummus and/or tzatziki sauce.
It’s a new year and I’m sure you’re craving some healthier newer dishes! I hope you enjoy these meals. Let me know what you think!